Crafting creamy mushroom and chard soup is an uncomplicated yet highly rewarding culinary endeavor. This soup seamlessly melds the earthy richness of mushrooms with the hearty freshness of Swiss chard, resulting in a comforting, velvety blend of flavors and textures. Beyond the taste, this soup is a wholesome and nourishing choice, especially when incorporating seasonal, fresh produce. Embrace the ease of preparing this hearty soup and savor its satisfying warmth, making it a delightful addition to your repertoire of soups.
Creamy Mushroom and Chard Soup
- 3 cups chicken or mushroom broth
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cup milk
- 1 large onion
- 1 large bunch of chard, chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, chopped (a blend of different mushrooms works well; particularly Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms)
- 4 oz sour cream, cubed and softened
- 8 oz sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté mushrooms and onions in oil until the mushrooms start to release water. Add the chard and sauté until soft. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make a roux by melting 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat and adding the flour, stirring for two minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly to prevent clumping.
- Once milk is added, continue the process by adding the broth, again whisking to prevent clumping.
- Turn the heat to low and add sour cream and cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and chard. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.