Eggplant Caprese stacks are a delightful and creative twist on the classic Caprese salad, featuring layers of tender eggplant, ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and creamy mozzarella. With just a few ingredients and simple assembly, you can create a visually appealing and flavorful appetizer or side dish. The grilled or roasted eggplant slices add a smoky flavor, while the juicy tomatoes and fragrant basil complement the creamy mozzarella. Drizzled with balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, Eggplant Caprese stacks offer a delightful combination of tastes and textures. Embrace the creativity of making these stacks and savor their deliciousness with every delightful bite.
Crispy Eggplant Caprese Stacks
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 8 oz ball fresh mozarella
- 6-8 leaves fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (for skillet)
- 6 eggplant slices (1/4" thick)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella about 1/4-inch thick. Rinse and pat basil dry (you can keep it whole or tear into smaller pieces). Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Prepare eggplant slices by coating lightly in flour, then egg (shaking off excess), and then panko, all in separate dishes. Once skillet is hot, add eggplant slices and fry, in batches, about 3 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- On serving plates, build stacks by alternating tomato, mozzarella, eggplant, and basil. Repeat until you have 2 equal-sized stacks. Drizzle with dressing.