Get The Most Out of Your Turnips from Backyard Eats
When It’s Ready:
- Harvest 1-3 months after planting
- When the bulbs reach 1-3″ diameter
- Pull the entire plant from the soil.
- Cut off the greens and bottom taproot from the round turnip bulb
Don’t throw out your turnip greens! They make a sweet and slightly spicy addition to salads.
Turnips have a mildly sweet and slightly peppery flavor with a texture that is similar to potatoes, making them a versatile ingredient in cooking. They can be roasted to bring out their natural sweetness, boiled to minimize their bitterness, or mashed like potatoes as an easy side dish.
Varieties of Turnips:
This vegetable is best when used fresh, but here are a few tips for preserving and storage.
Fresh Storage: Keep in an airtight bag in the fridge for 1-2 months.
Long-Term: Turnips can be stored in the freezer, blanched, pickled or canned for long-term storage.
Cooking With Turnips
Turnips are underrated yet delicious vegetables that can be prepared in several ways to complement different meals. Here are some of our favorite methods:
- Roasted Turnips: Enjoy the delightful combination of crispy edges and tender centers as the turnips are roasted to perfection, bringing out their natural sweetness and a hint of caramelization.
- Mashed Turnips: Experience pure comfort in each spoonful of creamy, velvety mashed turnips, seasoned with herbs and butter, creating a satisfying side dish that pairs well with any meal.
- Turnip Fries: Indulge in a healthier alternative to traditional fries with these crisp and golden turnip fries. Sprinkled with your favorite seasonings, they offer a satisfying crunch with a subtle earthy flavor.
- Glazed Turnips: Delight your taste buds with tender turnips coated in a luscious glaze, such as maple or honey. The glaze adds a touch of sweetness that perfectly complements the natural flavors of the turnips.
- Turnip Gratin: Dive into a gratifying dish of thinly sliced turnips layered with a creamy sauce and a sprinkling of cheese. Baked to a golden brown, this gratin showcases the turnips’ rich flavor and comforting texture.